Recently my bipolar went totally out of whack. I’d been put on Abilify to help supplement my Paxil as I’d been depressed since December. I was on it one month and it drove me into a terrible hypomanic state. I could not sleep, I was smoking and eating up a storm, and my boyfriend said my personality changed completely. After 1 month they took me off it but the effects kept lasting.
One day I went in for a scheduled appointment with my endocrinologist and kinda had a breakdown. I walked over to the emergency 20 minutes away (in my slippers – my feet were so swollen as a side effect), and after a couple of hours they checked me in. I only stayed 4 days, but they increased my Seroquel to 200 mg and set me up to start a day hospital program. I came home feeling better and have been off the Abilify since June 4th. I am better off the Abilify (all the side effects are gone…finally), though I still get some breakthrough depression. I take 100 mg Seroquel at night and 25 to 50 mg during the day if I need it. I will continue to cut back as I am able.
Day Hospital is an intensive 6 week course, where you stay in the city and go to the hospital on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. It is from 9 AM to 2:30 pm on those days. Wed. we have off to regroup and do our homework, rest etc. Weekends we leave the lodge they set us up at, and come get and get reassigned to another room, which we share. We get lunch supplied each day and my disability insurance may cover breakfast and supper at $5,50 each. Not a lot, but a help. I will have to get someone to come get me and bring me back on the weekends. If I want to go home on Tues. night I can meet my sister at the bus stop on her way home from work and she can drop me off early Thurs. morning so I arrive there by 9 a.m..
My first appointment was an assessment and they gave me homework to do. The following is the 5 goals I had to come up with for my day hospital stay. I don’t know when I start yet, I’m doing a 3 day trial run at the end of this month to see if I like it, or can handle it, as it’s hard.
MY OVERALL PROGRAM GOALS
- DAILY ROUTINE AND STRUCTURE IS MY BIGGEST WEAKNESS AND ALSO THE THING I NEED THE MOST IN MY LIFE. THE STRICTER FRAMEWORK I AM IN, THE BETTER I DO EMOTIONALLY, MENTALLY, AND PHYSICALLY, SO THIS IS PRIME.
- I HAVE VERY LITTLE CONTACT WITH THE OUTSIDE WORLD. I AM WITH MY FAMILY OR MY MAN OR BY MYSELF, THAT IS ABOUT IT. I NEED TO START TAKING TIME TO RECONNECT WITH MY FRIENDS, MAKE MORE FRIENDS, AND PARTICIPATE IN MORE SOCIAL ACTIVITIES AWAY FROM FAMILY.
- I HAVE BEEN A CREATIVE PERSON IN THE PAST BUT HAVE LOST THE MOTIVATION AND DISCIPLINE OVER THE YEARS TO WRITE, PAINT, DRAW ETC. I WOULD LIKE TO RECONNECT WITH MY CREATIVE SIDE BY TAKING VARIOUS LESSONS IN GUITAR, PAINTING ETC.
- MY PHYSICAL HEALTH IS VERY POOR. I LACK ANY NUTRITIOUS WAY OF EATING, AM ADDICTED TO SUGAR/FAT, AND HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING IN ANY PROPER EXERCISE, EVEN STRETCHING OR WALKING, DUE TO LACK OF MOTIVATION. I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE TO A HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISE PLAN.
- I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED SCHOOL, FOUND THE ROUTINE AND CHALLENGE TO HELP KEEP ME STABLE AND WOULD LOVE TO RETURN. IT WOULD BE PART TIME AS A DISABLED STUDENT, WORKING TOWARDS A B.A. IN ANTHROPOLOGY. MONEY, TRANSPORT, AND CONSISTENT ENERGY HAVE BARRED ME FROM REACHING THIS GOAL SO FAR.
So this is what I came up with. Any comments?? I also had a to fill out a 6 page Story of my Life essay, I might post that later. Wish me luck as I go off for my trial run.
PS I got a puppy 1 month ago, during my manic phase, I’m not sorry I love him to death, but it will be so hard to leave him with my boyfriend for 6 weeks that I don;t know if I’ll be able to do it. Here are some pics of him. It is my sister’s dog with him.